The Kapuche Lake trek is a short 5 days trek that begins from Pokhara and passes through several villages and hills. Kapuche lake route is a recently discovered remote hiking route in Nepal.
In Kapuche Lake Trekking through Sikles, we will be able to experience stunning views and rich vegetation on our way. The Kapuche Lake lies to the north-east of Kaski.
The trekking route starts from the elevation of 904 meters to 2546 meters at Kapuche Lake. However, the highest point is Tara Hill Top at 2814m. Kapuche Trek offers some extraordinary views of the snow-capped mountains, verdant hills, and Nepali village culture, among others. The trekking route goes through the villages of Armala, Thak, Aatighar Mauja and Sikles. Kapuche Lake is also known as Virgin Ice Lake as it has recently been started to explore.
Kapuche Lake Trek Highlights
- Glacier Lake at the lowest altitude in the world – Kapuche Lake
- You can experience an astonishing view of the Annapurna mountain range.
- You can be familiar with the religion and culture of Nepali people especially the Gurung community.
- You will be hiking through the terraced fields, green vegetation, rhododendron forest.
- You can enjoy the hospitality of the Gurung community of Sikles village which is the second-largest Gurung community village in Nepal.
Kapuche Lake Location and Altitude
The Kapuche Glacier lake is located at an altitude of 2546 meters from sea level. It lies inside the small village Sikles of Kaski district in the Annapurna region. This lake has been declared as the lowest altitude glacier lake in the world.
The trek route to the Kapuche lake is recently opened and it is less crowded than the other trekking routes like Annapurna Circuit Trek, Manaslu Circuit Trek, Mardi Himal Trek, and Everest Base Camp Trek.
Kapuche lake trek itinerary
We offer a 5 days Kapuche Glacier Lake Itinerary which can be customized as per your need and convenience.
- Day 1: Drive to Armala and trek to Thak Village via Atighar Mauja, 5 – 6 hrs. Overnight at Thak Village.
- Day 2: Trek to Sikles Village Via Tara Hill Top 8 Hrs,
- Day 3: Trek to Hugu Goth, 5 – 6 hrs. Overnight at Hugu Goth.
- Day 4: Trek to Kapuche Lake (Virgin Ice Lake) Explore back to Hugu Goth. Overnight at Hugu Goth.
- Day 5: Trek to Sikles, 4 – 5 hrs and drive back to Pokhara.
Kapuche Lake Trek in a video
Food and Accommodation in Kapuche Lake Trekking
If you are planning your trek with a travel agency in Pokhara like us, we can manage all your needs for food, accommodation, and requirements along with the professional guide and porters.
The accommodation will be in the basic guest house, teahouse, and hotels. You will be served a variety of food on the way. However, at high altitudes, Nepali food like Dal, Bhat, and Tarkari will be served mostly. You can also get Continental, Japanese, Chinese, Indian dishes in hotels and some guest houses.
Kapuche Lake Trek Route Map
More about the Kapuche Glacier Lake
Kapuche Glacier Lake is claimed to be the lowest elevation glacial lake in the world. The temperature of the lake can reach sub-zero during winter, and the surface can turn into ice. The 0.12 Km2 Lake is about 40 meters deep. The lake was named Kapuche by the Gurung communities living nearby which means a surface made of crumbled snow ice.
Kapuche lake trek also offers some fantastic views of the peak of Annapurna along with other Himalayan Mountains. Sometimes, an avalanche brings snow from the slopes that land on the lake. The lake is in a calm environment beneath the high mountains. However, there is no provision of boating, as it is not appropriately explored.
Discover the lifestyle in Remote Villages
Before Kapuche, we will first reach Hugu, which comes two hours earlier. Hugu has an ancient settlement with animal husbandry as a means of livelihood at 2,100 meters elevation. Hugu itself is about 6 hours away from the nearest human village called Sikles.
The itinerary starts from Deep, and we pass human settlements like Aatighar Mauja, Thak, Tara Hill, Sikles and Hugu. We spend a night each in Thak village, Tara Hill Top and Sikles. Moreover, we spend two nights in Hugu. We can choose between lodge stay, homestay, and outdoor camping. Among these places, Tara Hill Top offers the best scenic view. We can visit caves and museums, pass through suspension bridges and witness some magnificent views.
This trek route is one of the least traveled trails. So, you will enjoy this trek without being disturbed by the crowd. This trek is best to do during autumn and spring. Furthermore, we provide this trip package at an affordable price.
You decide what is best and we’ll take care of the rest
- The itinerary mentioned is a standard guideline. It can be fully customized according to your needs, requirements, and availability.
- The cost of the trek can also be changed according to your group size, needs, and time boundary.
- You can easily add additional activities to the Itinerary. You just have to let us know before confirming the trip.
- This trip can also start from Kathmandu. You have to let us know if you want to begin there. In that case, the Itinerary will extend by a few days. Consequently, the cost will also increase.
- The addition or removal of activities will increase or decrease the cost of the trip respectively. This will be done through mutual understanding between the agency and the client(s).